Look out for yourself now, not after it is too late.
Injury Leave is a significant benefit in which Correctional Officers need to be aware. It is a fund that supplements the wages that are not paid by Workers’ Compensation when an Officer suffers a qualifying workplace injury or illness.
Subject to availability of funds and acceptance by the State under the provisions of Workers’ Compensation eligibility, Injury Leave provides qualifying Correctional Officers with up to a maximum of one thousand (1000) hours of paid leave, if the required paperwork is filed.
The Correctional Officers Bargaining Agreement from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2012 changes the submission and approval procedures from those that existed in the previous contract. In recognition that the employer is given a copy of the Workers’ Compensation Report of Occupational Injury or Illness when the claim is filed, the requirement to submit an Injury Leave request to the Superintendent within 21 days of the injury no longer exists.
This requirement is replaced with Article 20.7 B 5 Notice, which states:
“The member shall provide to the member’s superintendent documentation that the member’s workers’ compensation claim has been accepted. The superintendent will then initiate injury leave for the member, effective with the date that workers’ compensation benefits began.”
- Submit a Workers’ Compensation Report of Occupational Injury or Illness to your facility’s Administration (Keep a Copy); then
- Submit an Incident Report (SIR, when applicable) (Keep a Copy); then
- When the Workers’ Compensation claim has been approved, you are required by the Contract to give a copy to your Superintendent; then
- Fax or e-mail a courtesy copy to ACOA for our records.
Other Forms or Information you might need
- State Workers’ Compensation Report of Injury Form
- What to do if you are Injured – Workers’ Comp Instructions
- Employee Notice of Pay Problem Form on State Website
- State’s Annual Physical Reimbursement Form
State Workers’ Compensation
3301 Eagle Street
675 Seventh Avenue
1111 W. Eighth Street
P.O. Box 115512