Frequently Asked Questions

The Association’s primary mission is to secure favorable wages, benefits, working conditions, and conditions of employment for Correctional Officers. In this regard, your dues are used to cover the costs associated with negotiating and defending your contract and to monitor Legislative action and communicate with Legislators on issues important to Correctional Officers. Defending your contract often involves expenses related to filing and arbitrating grievances against contractual violations. Your dues also pay for office space, office equipment and supplies, staff salaries, and expenses related to board meetings, the annual membership meeting and other sanctioned membership events.

Union dues are $80 per month. The State will do an automatic payroll deduction twice a month in the amount of $40, so the full amount is not taken at once.

No, your health insurance is provided through the State of Alaska. You must enroll within 30 days of being employed or you will automatically be enrolled in the Economy plan and Preventive Dental Plan and you will have no Vision Plan coverage. Contact your institution’s administrative specialists for assistance. The Association does attend and represent you on the Health Benefits Evaluation Committee (HBEC) which meets periodically to discuss health benefit matters and issues. The purpose of the HBEC is to discuss matters of universal importance for all participating plan members.

PAC stands for Political Action Committee. The PAC is authorized to endorse or oppose candidates for public office, and to endorse or oppose ballot propositions, initiatives or referenda which relate directly or indirectly, to ACOA’s objectives and purposes. Charges for this are paid from the PAC fund, not the membership dues fund. The ACOA PAC is accountable to the Alaska Public Offices Commission (APOC) and reports are filed in accordance with their regulations.

Membership in the PAC is not required, but we ask for a $5 monthly donation from each member. This money goes into a separate account from the union dues account and is used to pay for donations to legislators, as well as for independent campaign races. To join the PAC, a Dues Check-off Authorization Form must be submitted to ACOA with both lines signed and dated. ACOA will then send the form to the State Department of Finance. This deduction will automatically be taken from your paycheck each month.

When asked questions or directed to attend a meeting that you reasonably believe might result in discipline. When asked to write a report that you reasonably believe might result in discipline. If you have questions about the provisions of your contract. If you believe you have been improperly paid and received a negative response to the Employee Notice of Pay Problem you filed. If you think Management has violated the contract and wish to file a grievance. If you need leave donations. If you would like to see something added to the contract. If you have a problem you don’t know how to deal with. If you need informed advice regarding a work matter.

If you are donating leave to a Correctional Officer, it should be sent to ACOA. If you are donating leave to an employee in another union, fill out a leave slip and submit it to that person’s union. For example, if you are donating to a Trooper it should go to PSEA. The minimum donation is 4 hours.

Any State employee who is out of work due to illness who has used all of their own personal leave can receive donated leave.

Seniority Lists are issued by Technical Services twice a year – in Spring and Fall. ACOA posts them on our website as soon as we receive them.

You should contact Technical Services directly at 907-465-3300. They will be able to determine where the error is and make corrections.

Contact the Board Member for your institution and inform them you want to be a Rep. The State allows us two Reps per shift.

Contact the ACOA office. We are always looking for people to add to our list that we can depend on to disseminate information.


If you have any further questions or are not able to find the information you need give us a call us at (907) 646-2262.